1) Distribute personalized videoWhen you use customized videos to engage buyers on their favorite channels online, make sure you use all three kinds of personalization:
1. Company. If the firm recently had a M&A event, you might congratulate your prospect on the acquisition or mergers and ask how they’re thinking about integrating the two organizations’ sales teams.
2. Person. If someone just got promoted, it’s a perfect opportunity to ask if they now own revenue operations. Or if their alma mater played recently, you might comment on the terrible (or amazing) game.
3. Industry. Share top pain points you hear from others in that person’s industry.
Pro Tip: When you embed videos, animated thumbnails are the most likely to catch attention and build trust, since static images don’t show movement. Facial expression and body language make up 55%. (Tone of voice is 38%, and words are only 7%.)
2) Sit back from the camera
Body language is 55% of communication, so sit back a little bit during recorded videos and Zoom calls. You will make more of your body visible. (Obviously, don’t go too far. You don’t want to be a speck on the screen.)
3) … And periodically lean forward
Looking in a person’s eyes is another good trust builder, so lean forward periodically and look directly at the camera. It’s as close to virtual eye contact as you’ll get.
4) Use (many) people’s names.
We all know a buyer’s favorite word is his or her name. Go a step further and use names of multiple people on the buying committee—in conversation, of course, and also in emails and subject lines.
5) Professionalize your WFH office, with employer stipends
Pro Tip: Does your home office support a professional impression? Make sure you’ve tapped into your employer’s WFH stipend for high-speed wifi, and a good desk chair, Webcam, and monitors.
- How to stay top of mind with executives when selling SPM from home
- 6 SPM sales strategies: Give remote buyers value that stands out
- Bridges, Frances. “10 ways to make people like you, from ‘how to win friends and influence people,” Forbes 2018, https://www.forbes.com/sites/francesbridges/2018/02/07/10-ways-to-make-people-like-you-from-how-to-make-friends-and-influence-people/?sh=46b051db4bb4.
- Canaday, Henry. “How to meet the challenge of managing a remote sales force,” Selling Power, 2020, https://www.sellingpower.com/2020/11/02/17638/how-to-meet-the-challenge-of-managing-a-remote-sales-force.